Skip to main content


Radon Information and Resources:

Radon test kits are available at 606 N. Minnesota Ave. #2 Hastings, NE  68901 for $7.00.  Kits may also be purchased at Extension offices in Clay, Nuckolls and Webster Counties.  For more information, please call us a (402) 462-6211.

Nebraska Radon Program Testing for Radon (Information provided by Nebraska DHHS)

Radon testing is recommended in all homes in Nebraska. Conducting a radon test is the only way to know how much radon you are exposed to. Fortunately radon testing is easy and inexpensive, and homes that have high radon levels can be easily fixed. If a home or building has an annual average radon level of 4 pCi/L or higher, it should be mitigated (fixed) to lower the radon level.

Type When to use it Where to get it Cost
Short Term Initial testing or retest SHDHD or County Extension offices $7.00
Long Term After result of a short-term test level was between 4-8 pCi/L Available through Nebraska Dept of Health and Human Services Radon Program: ~$20.00
Continuous Monitoring May be used for measurement in businesses or homes during construction or real estate transaction or for a more detailed description of radon levels over time. Contact SHDHD at 402-462-6211 for continuous monitor testing in Adams, Clay, Nuckolls or Webster counties. $125

Short-term vs. Long-term Radon Tests
Short-term radon tests run typically from 2 to 7 days. They are useful as an initial screening test because they are inexpensive and the results are received quicker than long-term tests. Long-term tests run from 3 months to a full year and often give a better annual average of your radon exposure, since they can take into account the seasonal variations of radon.

Testing Your Home (Non-Real Estate Transactions)
If you want to know the radon level in your own home, you can conduct a test with a do-it-yourself kit. Follow the instructions that come with the test kit and place the kit in the lowest level where you spend time, preferably in a living room or bedroom. Do not test utility rooms, laundry rooms, or kitchens. If performing a short-term test, ensure windows are kept closed and entry/exit is kept to a minimum.

Testing in Schools & Workplaces
Radon testing in schools, offices, and other workplaces must be conducted by a licensed Radon Measurement Business. The Environmental Protection Agency and the American Lung Association recommend that all schools should be tested for radon, and the Nebraska Radon Program will test a small number of schools each year free of charge.